Go Online Rather Than Wait In Line
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
Click a topic below to jump to important sections.
Creating an account: It’s easy! Visit bit.ly/SanMateoDowntownPermits to purchase your permit. First time users will be prompted to create an account, while returning users can simply sign in using an email address and password.
First, you’ll be asked to select whether you’re a private individual or a company. We suggest registering as an individual if your parking needs are personal and registering as a company if your parking needs are job related. Next, enter your personal information including your name, email address, phone number, mailing address, and preferred method of contact. Once you click save, you’ll be redirected to a window where you’ll receive confirmation of your account and a temporary password.
Please do not register and manage multiple permit holders under one account. If you are a company administrator registering multiple employees, you will have to create an individual account for each permit holder. Alternatively, each permit holder may register their own account in the system. The online system makes it easy for individual permit holders to create and manage their account.
At this time, you’ll receive an email to confirm your registration. Click the link provided in the email to login to your dashboard. From there you can manage your account, change your password, enter credit card information, and purchase a permit. For more information about managing your monthly permit account, click here.
Purchasing a permit: First, select “Apply for Permit” from the left-hand menu. Next, select the garage of your choice. The Downtown Parking Permit will show up by default. Once you have selected your location and permit type, click the “Start application” button.
On the next screen, select the month you’d like for your permit to be valid. Below the cost of the permit, you are given the option to auto renew this permit or not. For more information about automated renewals and automatic payments, click here.
Next, enter the license plate number of the vehicle which you’ll be parking. It is VERY important for the license plate information to be correct as it is used by enforcement. Also, it is important to note that only one license plate number is valid per permit.
If you do not know your license plate number, you may use a temporary license plate number of "TEMP". Once you've got the correct license plate information, you must update that information. The correct license plate information must be submitted prior to the start of your selected permit start date. Instructions for updating your plate are below.
Once the plate number has been entered, select the state in which the vehicle is registered. Once this information is provided, click the “Continue” button. *TIP: Type the letter C at the state drop-down to quickly choose California.
On the following screen, once you review the information and agree to the terms of the permit, please click the “Continue” button.
Once you’ve clicked continue, the system will then display your shopping cart. Please confirm the information again, and click 'Checkout' to continue.
Checking out: If you selected auto renew on the first page of the permit application process, you will now be given the option to select autopay as well. Once you’ve made your selection, you will then be prompted to enter credit card information and complete your purchase.
Printing Your Permit: After submitting payment, click the “Home” tab on the left-hand menu under the San Mateo Parking logo. Your active permit will be visible. You’ll then receive an email containing a copy of the hang tag. Print the hang tag, and display it in your vehicle. You absolutely MUST have the hang tag printed and properly displayed for enforcement.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT WAIT-LISTS: An on-screen notification will appear upon completing the application if your chosen location is sold out. If you'd like, the opportunity to be placed on a wait-list for that location will be provided, and you will given the ability to purchase a permit for a different location in the meantime.
Once a space becomes available in your preferred location, you will be notified via email. You are given 48 hours, from the time the email is sent, to purchase the parking pass for your preferred location. If you do not purchase within the allotted 48 hours, the space will be offered to another customer, and your name will be added back onto the wait-list at the end of the line.
To change the license plate number associated with your monthly pass:
1) Login to your existing permit account
2) The system will show your active permits and you can click the number shown in bold under the 'Permit ID' column. If you've navigated away from the home page, hover over 'My Permits' and click 'Overview.' Click on the number shown in bold print under the 'Permit ID' column.
3) Click 'Vehicle change request'
4) Enter the new license plate number in the 'License Plate Number' field. Choose the state in which the license plate is registered from the drop-down menu.
5) Click 'Save'
6) Review the confirmation details for accuracy and click 'Continue'
7) Be sure to print your updated permit!
Additional Customer Support - Parkmobile is happy to provide customer support to Downtown San Mateo Parking Permit Customers. Please contact us by email at SanMateoPermits@parkmobileglobal.com. We are also available by phone Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. until 4 p.m. The toll-free number for phone support is 855-768-4152.
Monthly Parking Permit Rights and Transferability
- The purchase of a Monthly Parking Permit entitles the Customer/Permit Holder to park one motor vehicle (identified by a unique license plate number) in the designated City of San Mateo Garage or Lot.
- A Monthly Parking Permit Holder (Customer/Permit Holder) has the option to change the license plate number when needed, but they will need to make sure the permit and the license plate number is the same. It is the Customer/Permit Holder’s responsibility to manage multiple vehicles. Permit holder is responsible for updating any changes in this information with the online permit system.
- No credit or prorating of charges will be given for vacations, illnesses, early cancellations, or any other contingencies.
- Monthly permits are only valid during the calendar month for which the customer has paid. There is no grace period.
- Monthly permits are not transferrable.
- Permits are valid Monday-Saturday from 8am to 6pm.
- Rates are subject to change at any time by posting rates in the garages/lots or by other means of notification.
- All vehicles must be currently registered in the State of California to the permit holder with all current inspections that may be deemed necessary by the state in which the vehicle is registered.
- The issuance of a parking permit is a privilege and not a right. All permits are subject to review by any parking enforcement representative, community service officer, or police officer. Any parking permit maybe revoked at any time, for any reason, by the City or police department.
- All permitted vehicles must have two unobstructed vehicle license plates affixed to both the front and rear of the vehicle as required and defined by the California Vehicle Code. Under this program newly purchased vehicles and resale vehicles will be granted a grace period of no more than two, 30 day permit cycles providing the permitted vehicle conspicuously displays a valid permit from the rear view mirror without obstruction. Any vehicle failing to properly display a valid permit is subject to receiving a parking citation and that citation is not appealable.
No Guarantee of Parking Space: Parking is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Permit holders must park in 10 hour stalls only. The City of San Mateo makes no guarantee as to availability of spaces.
No Liability of District: City of San Mateo, and their employees, agents, and representatives are not and shall not be responsible for any theft or damage to individuals, vehicles, or property while in any garage or on any lot. No bailment of any type is hereby created. The terms and conditions of this parking permit program may change at any time.
Safety Notice: To reduce the chance of theft or damage, please place your personal items out of sight and lock your doors. Be aware of your surroundings. All persons park at their own risk at all times and assume the risk of any injuries and damages.
No Smoking: All City facilities are smoke-free.
No Storage or Abandonment: No long term storage of vehicles is permitted in any City of San Mateo parking facilities. The City’s garages and lots are closed from 2am to 5am.
Automatic Parking Permit Renewal: Customers may elect to have the Monthly Parking Permit automatically renewed on a month-to-month bases. Monthly parking fees collected via automatic renewal will not be refunded.
Termination: A Permit Holder may cancel monthly parking privileges at any time by simply not renewing the monthly permit. Customers that terminate prior to the end of the calendar month will not qualify for any refunds.
Waiting List: A customer can be asked to be placed on a “waiting list” for a City garage or lot if current permits are sold out. The system will indicate when a “waiting list” is in place at the requested garage or lot. You will be notified when space becomes available or choose to purchase at a different, available location.